- To book an appointment click here
Keraring surgery in appropriate patients is an effective way to treat keratoconus. Kerarings are clear, semicircular rings inserted within the cornea to restore the cornea to a more normal curve and improve vision. Kerarings are safe, removable, and replaceable.
Keraring surgery is minimally invasive and normally takes about 30 minutes. You can have both eyes done on the same day. Patients with advanced keratoconus who are not suitable for keraring surgery may require a corneal transplant.
What to expect from your consultation with Hunter Laser Vision
During your consultation:
Our team will:
- review your medical history and perform a thorough eye examination.
- take scans of your cornea to determine its shape and thickness.
- check your intraocular pressure.
- make a surgical recommendation.
- provide you with a quotation and book a surgery date.
- discuss post-operative recovery and follow-up appointments.
- consultations can take up to 2 hours.
- you must not wear contact lenses for 2 weeks prior to your consultation or surgery
- your pupils may be dilated therefore you will require someone to drive you home.
- it can take 3 hours for vision to return to normal.
The surgery and post-operative care
- You can expect to be at the surgery for 3 hours.
- No contact lens wear for 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- No make-up on the day of surgery.
- Wear comfortable warm clothing with no loose fibres.
- On arrival, you may be given anti-anxiety medication.
- Keraring surgery normally takes around 45 minutes.
- The day after your procedure you will need to return to the clinic for a check-up.
- 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months, and 1-year postoperative appointments will be made at the time of surgery.
- We suggest you take a week off work.
- For two weeks after the surgery, you should stay out of dirty, dusty environments.
- You should keep the area dry for 2 weeks; showering is fine, but no swimming.
- Full visual recovery normally takes 2-4 weeks.